We all know we are what we eat. And we are what our food eats.
But perhaps most importantly, we are what we successfully ingest and digest! Few things help “get the digestive party started” more effectively than a half dropperful of bitters. Bitters are readily available and are super easy to make and have a shelf life of more than a year.
Here’s one of my favorites to make using very common culinary items:
- Peel of one organic orange (no white pith) or 2 t. dried orange peel
- 2 T. dried dandelion leaf (can use 4 dandelion leaf teabags, opened)
- 3 fresh sage leaves or ½ t. dried sage leaf
- 10 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 cup vodka or any preferred liquor with 40% alcochol
Place all ingredients in a squeaky clean mason jar. Cover, place in a cool, dark place. Shake daily, for 2-4 weeks.
Strain through cheesecloth and pour into 2 oz. amber bottles. Label (Very important! We always think we’ll remember what was in there, but we usually don’t!)
Take 1 teaspoon in a little water, or straight up about 15 minutes before your largest meal of the day to get digestion primed.
Can also be used in a cocktail or in some sparkling water, but it is less effective as a digestive aid. Small amber dropper bottles are available throught specialty bottle companies or through retailers like Amazon.