Our good friends Eileen and Gary visited last week and brought some wonderful little gifts to share. As fellow “foodies” we share the passion of enjoying truly quality food items. Along with some amazing spices, they also brought a couple of heirloom beans that are making me rethink this delicious, healthy addition to my diet. The company is Rancho Gordo and they do have a fun selection heirloom beans, grains, spices and more.
I immediately put the Alubia Blanca Beans, a small versatile Spanish -style white bean, to soak to create a white bean chili for our lunch and saved half of the beans to sprout and make into a salad with the Arugula I had going wild in my tiny garden.
So white beans, in addition to being high in non-dairy calcium also come with soluble fiber, folate, potassium and iron – all which can reduce the risk of osteoporosis!
So here is my take on the salad for those with looking for great taste, vegan and gluten free options:
White Bean and Arugula Salad
- 3 T. lemon juice
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 t. Dijon mustard
- 2 cups cooked white beans OR one can drained rinsed white beans
- 4 cups arugula (or any bitter green of choice)
- ½ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup thin sliced red onion
- Whisk lemon juice, olive oil and mustard in a small bowl. Add sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste (optional) to prep the dressing.
- Toss beans, red onion, and tomatoes together. Divide the arugula over four plates and top with bean veggie mixture. Drizzle dressing over all and enjoy!