I received this calcium rich recipe from one of our “star” Strong Bones students, Dorothy B. from Washington state, who got the recipe from her mom. I think it sounds fantastic! And did you know that there is up to 240 mg of calcium in just 3 oz. of salmon (with the bones.) And don’t let the bones freak you out. Canned salmon is actually “cooked” in the can during the canning process. The bones become very soft and are easily “squished” by just pressing the salmon with a fork. There are also no preservatives, just a bit of salt. And thanks also to Dorothy for this idea, minimize the salt by placing the salmon in a colander and giving it a quick rinse under running water before adding it to the ingredients. I think I’m gonna make a gluten free, almond flour based crust and substitute 1 c. plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream.
Do you have a bone healthy recipe you’d like to share? Email me at susan@iPIVOT-now.com !
Sensational Salmon Quiche
- 1 C. whole wheat flour
- 2/3 C. grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 C. chopped almonds (or nut of your choice….I often use almond flour instead of chopping nuts)
- 1/2 tsp paprika (I use smoked paprika)
- 1/2 C. olive oil
Mix all in a bowl, pour into quiche pan and press, coming up the sides partway. Bake 400* for 10min.
- 15oz can of salmon (Traditional, wlid caught, with the bones. Do not drain, unless you want to minimize the amount of salt.)
- 3 eggs
- 1 C. sour cream
- 1/4 C. mayonnaise
- 1/2 C. grated cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbl. chopped green onion
- 1/2 tsp dill weed
A shake or 2 of your favorite hot sauce (Tabasco?) Blend all together, pour into crust and bake….325* 45 min