Want to get more healthy calcium into your diet? Worried about bone health? If you’re over 30, bone health should be on your radar. Did you know that by the time you’re 30 bone mineral density begins to slowly decline. And by the time you reach menopause, this natural aging process starts to speed up. But there ARE things you can do to nourish your bones!
I make non-dairy calcium rich stir fry’s at least a couple of times a week, sometimes more often. They are delicious, quick and a great way to pack plenty of veggies onto your plate. Here is my base recipe which delivers over 500 mg calcium! Estimated calcium in (mg) next to each item.
- 1 cup bok choy (160 mg) cut white stems and slice stems like celery. Rough chop the leaves
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets (60 mg)
- 1 cup chopped kale (94 mg) Rough chopped
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 4-6 Shitake mushrooms, stems removed, slices (only 2 mg, but many other health benefits)
- 1 medium sliced onion (25 mg)
- 1 – 2 cloves of garlic (9 – 18 mg) minced
- 1 teaspoon of grated fresh garlic (2 mg)
- 2 Tablespoons of Tamari (7 mg)
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame seeds, toasted (88 mg)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds (90 mg)
Put ½ cup water in a skillet and heat to boiling. Add green vegetables, cover, and steam for 5 minutes. Drain off any extra water after steaming. Over medium high heat add oil to skillet, stir in mushrooms, and onions, using tongs to turn vegetables for 3-5 minutes until tender crisp. Add garlic, fresh ginger and tamari. Cook for 2-3 minutes, turning/stirring with tongs.
If desired, serve over a cup of cooled long grain brown rice (20 mg.) Sprinkle toasted Sesame seeds and almonds (90 mg) over the top. Dried chili peppers also add a nice zip! Leftovers? Save and add to an egg scramble, quiche, or soup. Enjoy!
Interested in learning more about bone health from many perspectives? Don’t miss our FREE Bone Health Summit 2022: Osteoporosis, Osteopenia & Beyond June 2 & 3, 11am-5pm EST
Register at https://ipivot-now.com/lp/bone-health-summit/