As a huge fan of consuming calcium and protein through diet, I recently became curious about the many health benefits of black rice. What I found was fascinating as I had never tried this form of rice and now that I have, I may never go back to white or brown rice! Here is a quick snapshot of what I learned:
- Black rice contains the highest amount of antioxidants, protein and dietary fiber of all rice varieties. It contains 6 times more antioxidants than brown rice.
- Black rice contains essential amino acids like lysine, tryptophan; vitamins such as vitamin B1, vitamin B2, folic acid; and it is a good source of minerals including iron, zinc, calcium, phosphorus and selenium.
- Black rice is a good source of fiber and a good source of plant-based protein. It contains the highest amount of antioxidants, protein and dietary fiber of all rice varieties.
- Several studies suggest that black rice components play a role in the maintenance of health and prevention of diseases. It is said to be anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, and can be used to treat and prevent diseases associated with chronic inflammation
- It has more anthocyanin antioxidants than blueberries and has more health benefits. It contains more fiber and vitamin E (another essential antioxidant) and less sugar than blueberries.
On top of all of that, I liked the taste and the texture! No wonder it is often called Forbidden Rice as legend has it that in China it was once reserved only for the wealthy and powerful to ensure their health and long life. No one else was allowed to eat it. Want to know more? To see the entire review, click here: Black Rice Review – International Journal of Health Sciences & Research